About Me

I am currently a juniorat the University of South Alabama, though the school year is almost over. I am majoring in Secondary Education and English. I will be a great high school English teacher and I know that I would enjoy it.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Why Teach?

Question Mark on Key Board
I thought about teaching since I was in high school. Some of our teachers could not get us to understand parts of the subjects. I understood the subject material most of the time and was able to explain the material to my classmates who needed help most of the time. Needless to say, this made me feel very confident and helpful. I was told that I would make a good teacher. This shocked me for a while (I had no idea what I wanted to be when I graduated.) I liked the idea. I wanted to be one of the good teachers that changes her students lives for the better. I want my students to understand what I am teaching and I want to be able to get them to want to learn.

I started off wanting to teach math. This was one of the major problem areas for my classmates. I could get them to understand the material so I thought that could help some future students have an easier time in math then we did. Unfortunately, I did not like my math classes in college. After panicking for a few days, I ended up changing my major from mathematics to English a few week before school ended in my third semester in college.

There is a big difference in mathematics and English, right? I did fairly well in English in high school. In fact, I did very well. My highest score on the ACT was in English. Daddy says it was because I read so much. I adore reading. Whenever I have spare time, which is very rare this semester, I have a book in my hands. Now a days, I only have time to read walking to and from classes. But I am enjoying my new major and I look forwards to teaching something that I love so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment